Student Government Branches Out

Student Council Reaches out to the Student Body

Thomas Rowland '17, Senior Writer

Saint Ignatius Student Council is attempting to reach out to the SICP student body by opening a platform to all who would want to attend optional Student Council meetings during activity periods.

The head of the organization, Ms. Valencia, said there is always room for improvement as she would like to see more students reach out to the Student Council: “We really would like to have more of an open forum with the student body” said Ms. Valencia. Ms. Valencia said friends of Student Council members have an advantage because they can discuss topics with members informally.

Junior Class President Marc Cordero ’18 (Photo by Thomas Rowland ’17)

The Student Council has been especially innovative this year, organizing the Sunrise Pep Rally, school dances, and even providing students with Mario’s Italian Ice after school. “There’s always something that we have to plan for” said Marc Cordero ’18, who serves as president for the junior class. “It’s very time consuming, but worth it.”

“We are constantly planning for future events for the school,” said Cordero. “Once we get done with one task, we think about what we can do for the next one.” According to Cordero, the overall experience is a fulfilling one. He said, “Although [being on] the Student Council requires lots of work, the work pays off when a school event turns out amazing.”

Ms. Valencia also enjoys the payoff; she said “Every year something happens [which makes me] really proud of my students.”

After the success of the Sunrise Pep Rally and Mario’s Italian Ice events, the Student Council is looking forward to opening to the Wolfpack community by inviting all members of the student body to meetings during activity periods. Ms. Valencia said these meetings would occur every quarter and give every student a chance to have their voices heard. Accessibility is the organization’s main goal.