Overlooking Sports

Athletic Directors Give an Overview of the Athletics Programs

Boys+Volleyball+team+at+a+March+game+
Boys Volleyball team at a March game

Boys Volleyball team at a March game

Courtesy of ignatius.org

Courtesy of ignatius.org

Boys Volleyball team at a March game

Candace Hayes, Senior Writer

Saint Ignatius College Prep has three main types of athletic programs–interscholastic, club and intramural–which give its students the chance to participate in sports at all levels. Each type of sport has unique qualities that separate it from the others.

Often times, interscholastic and club sports are mistaken for one another. Mr. Ickes says, “The basic difference between an interscholastic sport and a club sport is two-fold, regarding the sanctioning body and the funding.”

Mr. Paul Ickes, Athletic Director. Photo courtesy of Ignatius.org

Interscholastic sports are governed by the Illinois High School Association (IHSA) and all aspects, including organization and finances, are the school’s responsibility.

Club sports, on the other hand, are almost entirely self-sufficient. The school provides bus transportation and hires the head coaches, but all other responsibilities fall on the club itself. Additionally, less schools compete in club sports than in interscholastic ones.

Despite these differences, there are also many similarities that may continue to cause confusion if left unaddressed. “In many ways,” says Mr. Ickes, “club sports look like the interscholastic ones.”

They have their own governing bodies respective to each sports. Students play against other high schools. There is a playoff at the end of each season. Awards are given by the governing body to the student athletes.

Every year, an assessment of the club’s needs is done and this allows the coaches to decide how much of the expenses student athletes will have to cover. Fortunately, club sports “have very active parent groups that help the coaches organize the sport,” says Mr. Ickes.
The level of involvement of the parent group heavily depends on the nature of the sport. For the crew team, the parent group is invaluable; seeing as they provide breakfast, lunch and dinner for upwards of 70 athletes at some of the overnight regattas the team attends.

Intramural sports, however, are something completely different. They are year round, open to all students (except interscholastic basketball players) without cuts, and competitions only take place during Activity Period.

Joining an intramural team is easy. Ms. McGovern says, “Prior to the season’s start, an announcement will instruct the kids to come down to the athletic office to sign up [for an intramural sport] or an online form is sometimes used as well.”

Ms. Pat McGovern, Athletic Director. Photo courtesy Ignatius.org

Intramural sports include dodgeball, kickball, basketball, and powder puff football. If none of these interest a student, they can always suggest a new intramural sport to Ms. Pat McGovern(pictured left) or Mr. Michael Cashman.

If interested in athletics, there is no reason to hold back. Mr. Ickes says, “The worst thing that could happen is you don’t make the team. But there is another place for you to go.”

The Ignatius community is open to and supportive of all students who wish to participate in sports at any level. There are 34 sports offerings throughout the school year that are open to any and all students willing to join.

All students should feel comfortable joining any team, so do not hesitate to join one of these many teams!