This “Lion” Roars

A Review of the Movie "Lion"

Lion Movie Poster

Lion Movie Poster

Lion Movie Poster

Thomas Rowland, Senior Writer

The movie, Lion, directed by Garth Davis, has drawn praise worldwide, receiving seven Oscar nominations, endless amounts of praise from critics, and many other awards for its acting, directing, and tear-jerking plot.

Lion immediately presents scenes which can affect viewers with confusion and fear. The film mainly takes place in India.  Upon the opening scene, the main characters, Saroo, and his older brother, Guddu, are seen scrounging in a rural Indian area looking for coal to sell. One night, as Guddu and Saroo are looking for coal, Guddu is forced to leave his younger brother as he is too tired to stay with him on the hunt for coal. Guddu decides to leave Saroo sleeping on a bench and tells him not to move. Saroo wakes up on a train that eventually takes him 1,600 kilometers away from Khandwa Village, his home.

Not only is a simple change in location challenging for the five year old Saroo, there is a huge language barrier between the locations so he is not able to properly voice his struggles with his adoptive brother. 

The lingering suspense of what Saroo will do next draws in the attention of the audience. Eventually, Saroo is raised in a luxurious Tasmanian household much different than his birth home. Saroo does not remember his birth parents.  There is a relatable lack of self-identity that haunts those who do not live with their birth parents and the difficulty of growing up. 

Even though Saroo has a perfectly fine life in Tasmania, he still feels as though something is missing in his life. Saroo constantly uses Google Earth to find his home based on the few facts that he remembers about his last train ride.

Saroo is seen in a constant state of internal crisis throughout the film. He does not know what to do about the issues that plague his life. Should he tell his adoptive parents he wants to find his birth family? What should he do about his unstable brother? Should he stay with his girlfriend?

During the last minutes of this movie, Saroo makes decisions that leave the audience feeling touched and tearful at the same time. 

I would recommend Lion to anyone who is a movie fan. Lion effectively appeals to a wide range of people. It is a must-see and I would give this movie four out of five stars.