Howling in the Court

Saint Ignatius Mock Trial Team Competes in Fourth Annual Howlett Cup

webdata - Fotolia

webdata - Fotolia

Elizabeth Neybert, Senior Writer

On March 31 and April 1, 2017, the Saint Ignatius Mock Trial team competed at the Richard J. Daley Center against Cristo Rey, Cristo Rey St. Martin, Christ the King, DePaul Prep, Fenwick, Loyola Academy and Mount Carmel for the Howlett Cup.

The team attended a reception at Petterino’s, a popular Italian restaurant, to mingle with other teams, according to Grace Mager ’17.

Caroline Vandam ’18 said, “I really liked how before the trials even started, all the participants got together at the reception and just talked about how practices went and how they planned to deliver their testimony. It was so cool to see how different teams approached the conflict.”

After finishing dinner, all participants headed to the Daley center for the trials.

Each school participates in one trial each day of the competition. The trials are held in Daley Center courtrooms with actual judges. The five jurors consist of men and women with ample experience in the law industry. On presenting in front of actual judges, Zach Sandoval ’19 said, “It really brought up the intensity… and [it] really helped prepare those of us that would like to pursue a future in litigation.”

In each trial, five members from each high school team compete against each other. Two head lawyers and three witnesses are needed. The entire competition revolves around one case and teams must have arguments for both sides, the plaintiff and the defense.  

Although Ignatius’ team did not advance to the finals due to their loss to Mount Carmel, they were able to win their case against Christ the King. Jack Boyd ’17 called the weekend, “a tremendous experience,” because, “compet[ing] … in an actual courtroom made it seem as if we were actual attorneys in practice, and the fact that my co-attorney [John Mager ’17] and I won our case made it an even better experience.”