There’s No Escape

Escape Rooms Popular Entertainment Trend

%28Left+to+right%29+Tommy+Buseman+%2717%2C+Jacob+Yeskis+%2717%2C+Alex+Quigley+%2717%2C+Charlotte+Phillipp+%2718%2C+and+Kaila+Casalino+%2717+in+an+escape+room+
(Left to right) Tommy Buseman '17, Jacob Yeskis '17, Alex Quigley '17, Charlotte Phillipp '18, and Kaila Casalino '17 in an escape room

Charlotte Phillipp

Charlotte Phillipp

Charlotte Phillipp, Junior Writer

There’s a new birthday party activity in the game, and it’s giving pottery and lazer-tag a run for their money. Escape rooms are a new sensation wherein a group of people work to solve puzzles, crack codes, and answer riddles in a team-building setting to achieve one goal- escape the room.

Every single one of the themes of these rooms are unique. Participants can play as robbers, prisoners, spies, and scientists – just to name a few of the many. After booking session tickets for a certain date and time (usually costing anywhere from $30-$100, depending on the company), everyone arrives at their room about 15 minutes in advance. This is just enough time to take a bathroom break and be be given a quick briefing on the given mission for the team. Finally, everyone participating is sent into the room with a timer starting and the door locked behind them.

Charlotte Phillipp
(Left to right) Charlotte Phillipp ’18, Anna Podkowski ’17, Jackie Novy ’17, Erin Levesque ’18, Jane Patti ’17

Often, these organizations do not allow filming inside the rooms or for people to repeat rooms, as new participants would know how to do all the puzzles in advance and could solve all the mysteries without doing any of the actual work and team building.

There are several of these companies in the Chicagoland area, including Fox in a Box, The Escape Game, and Room Escape Adventures, and most are open several days a week year-round.