Pumpkin Spice and Everything Nice

Putting pumpkin drinks and treats to the test.

Daniel McKay

To some people fall means football, bonfires and the changing of the leaves. To others, it is pumpkin spice season. In recent years, the popular flavor has exploded in drinks and bakery items. I decided to try these drinks and treats to see if they are worth the hype. I ranked each item out of five pumpkins based on looks and taste.

My first stop was Starbucks. Starbucks has been known for their cult following of their pumpkin spice latte. In addition to the latte, I ordered a pumpkin scone as well as a pumpkin loaf. Starbucks’ take on the ‘PSL’ was extremely sweet. There was a sense of coffee but it was overpowered by the sweetness with a faint pumpkin spice flavor. Despite the overwhelming flavors, it is a drink that I could see myself enjoying once a week. I give Starbucks’ pumpkin spice latte 🎃🎃🎃/🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃.

Next, I tried the pumpkin scone. It was a little dry, but had a strong pumpkin flavor, topped with a very complimentary frosting. The con of this item is the tiny pastry is a whopping 500 calories. I give Starbucks’ pumpkin scone 🎃🎃🎃🎃/🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃. Lastly from Starbucks, I tried the pumpkin loaf. The moist loaf had a lot of flavor, and is the best item from the Starbucks autumnal line. I give it 🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃/🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃.

My next stop was Dunkin’ Donuts. I tried their take on the famous latte. Dunkin’ had the best of the three lattes. The coffee was strong with just the right amount of pumpkin spice flavor. I give Dunkin’s ‘PSL’ 🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃/🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃.

Furthermore, I tasted their pumpkin flavored cake donut. The donut was dry but had a nice glaze that overpowered the dryness. It tasted good alongside the latte from Dunkin’. The pumpkin flavor was almost too faint to taste. I give it 🎃🎃🎃/🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃.

My last stop was McDonalds. The pumpkin spice latte is the only fall item they offer. Their take on the latte was the worst of the bunch. The heavy taste of milk overwhelmed any slight flavor of coffee and pumpkin flavor. It was quite difficult to finish as it tasted more like a dessert than coffee. I give it 🎃/🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃.

The pumpkin spice craze has adaptations that are seasonally delicious but also options that would be better left never made. Dunkin’ Donuts took the crown for the best pumpkin spice latte, and Starbucks won for true best pumpkin themed bakery items. If you are looking for a fun and scrumptious way to enjoy this fall season, go out and get pumpkin spice items!