Ignatius Children’s Christmas Choir

Kane Layng '19 (left), Anthony Karlos '19, and Kate Junkins '19 lead singing exercises. Courtesy of Kate Junkins '19

Elizabeth Karlos, Junior Writer

For many of us, our favorite Christmas song as a kid was Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. When this song was played on the radio or sung in a movie, it added to the wonder of Christmas. This memory was brought back as I heard the voices of the Ignatius Children’s Christmas Choir.  The children were enthused and excited when they were told they would be singing Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Frosty the Snowman was another favorite among the group.

The Ignatius Children’s Christmas Choir was created by Kate Junkins ‘19. When asked why she felt moved to create this group, she said, “I wanted to share what brings me the most joy in my life, singing. In starting this club, I wanted to bring that same joy to others less fortunate than myself.

Kate Junkins ‘19 poses with the members of the Saint Ignatius Children’s Christmas Choir.
Courtesy of Kate Junkins ’19.

The Ignatius Children’s Christmas Choir works with underprivileged children at Port Ministries, a nonprofit after school program. Four days a week, kids ages 5 to 14 come from nearby schools for tutoring and homework help and engage in various social activities.

The staff at Port Ministries works closely with the parents to provide educational support to compliment the goals of neighboring schools. Inspired by St. Francis of Assisi, their mission is to provide the fundamental needs of mind, body, and spirit to strengthen their community and better themselves.

Port Ministries is located at 50th and Hermitage on the southside of

Members of the choir rehearsing for their upcoming concert.
Courtesy of Max Wink ’19.

Chicago. The Ignatius Children’s Christmas Choir meets here once a week on Fridays after school. The group is a strong example of the mission of Saint Ignatius and upholds the Grad at Grad values of being open to growth, loving, and committed to doing justice. Students involved with the choir demonstrate what it truly means to be men and women for others.

On December 8th, the Ignatius Children’s Christmas Choir performed in the Quad after school. All were welcome to come and hear them sing Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Silent Night and more!

Kids from the Saint Ignatius Children’s Christmas Choir pose for a picture with Kate Junkins ‘19.
Courtesy of Kate Junkins ’19