Making A Splash At State

The swim team reacts to state performances

Taken by Madison Schiml '18

Taken by Madison Schiml '18

Taken by Madison Schiml '18

For the 13th year in a row, the Girls’ Swimming and Diving Team won the IHSA Sectional Championship and recently competed in the IHSA State Meet. We decided to ask them a few questions about their experience. Here are their responses!

When did you start swimming?
Madison Schiml ‘20: I started learning to swim at 6 months old at YMCA, so nothing really serious. But I joined an actual team at the age of 6, the team that I am currently still on.
Isabel Veliz ‘19: I have been competitively swimming since I was 6 years old.
Lauren Cox ‘18: I started swimming competitively when I was five. I was originally just taking swim lessons when the coach of a competitive swim team asked me to join, so I did.

What do you love about swimming at Ignatius?
Madison Schiml ‘20: The thing I love about swimming at Ignatius is my teammates. The Ignatius swim team isn’t just a team, we’re a family. The relationships I’ve built of the last 2 years are ones that I know will last.
Isabel Veliz ‘19: I love the competitive spirit within the team and how supportive everyone is of each other
Lauren Cox ‘18: I love all the people and the camaraderie of the team.

What events did you participate in at state?
Madison Schiml ‘20: During state I swam the 200 IM, the 500 Free, the 200 Free relay, and the 400 Free relay.
Isabel Veliz ‘19: I swam the 200 medley relay, 100 fly, and the 100 back.
Lauren Cox ‘18: I swam the 200 individual medley, 100 butterfly, the 200 free relay and 400 free relay.

What were your thoughts going into state?
Madison Schiml ‘20: In the beginning I was nervous because I knew there were going to be really fast people there, and that intimidated me. But then I kind of got over that and realized that I just needed to swim a race that I’ve done a thousand times before, and that I shouldn’t be nervous at all.
Isabel Veliz ‘19: I was nervous, but I was also really excited to have fun with my teammates and swim to the best of my ability.
Lauren Cox ‘18: It’s very nerve wracking and exciting at the same time. This was my fourth year swimming at state, so I knew what to expect. It’s amazing to be able to represent the school, and to be a part of one of the best swim teams in the state.

Was there a difficult moment you experienced at state? If so, how did you overcome it?
Madison Schiml ‘20: Yeah actually there was, when I dove in for the 200 IM, my goggles flipped down and I couldn’t see for the rest of my race. I was obviously very sad about that, but I didn’t let myself get psyched out for the rest of my races with the encouragement of my teammates and my coach.
Isabel Veliz ‘19: After the 200 medley and the 100 fly I was a little discouraged because I did not perform as well as I hoped. Although it was upsetting, I talked to a few of me teammates and remembered that we were there to have fun and swim to the best of our ability even if overall it wasn’t our best performance.
Lauren Cox ‘18: No it went as well as expected.

What was your favorite moment at state?
Madison Schiml ‘20: Placing in the 500 freestyle. Even though I didn’t go my best time, placing at the state finals is a very big deal for me.
Isabel Veliz ‘19: My favorite moment at state was when we took a break halfway through and the entire team came huddled up and said a prayer.
Lauren Cox ‘18: My favorite moment was when I swam my last race of the high school season and my coaches and teammates congratulated me on the past four years of high school swimming.

What are you looking forward to for next season?/What will you miss the most?
Madison Schiml ‘20: Getting to see all of my friends again, and swimming fast. I usually go my best times during high school, and that always makes me feel good, so I’m looking forward to that.
Isabel Veliz ‘19: Next season I am looking forward to new best times from everyone, my last high school races, and all of the team gatherings.
Lauren Cox ‘18: It’s my senior year, so I won’t be returning, but I will miss my teammates the most.

For further information on season results and updates, click the link below.
http://www.ignatius.org/athletics/fall-sports/swimming-diving-girls/schedule-results-updates/