Eagles Fly High in State Tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Eagles Fly High in State Tournament

The Eagles Celebrate around the State trophy

Teddy Maiorca, Head Sports Editor

On February 25th, only 11 days after the horrific shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas, the Eagles Varsity hockey team took Florida by storm, winning the State Championship as the last seed in their tournament. Stoneman Douglas’ team was one of four teams in the Tier 1 Pure Varsity division: the top high school teams in all of Florida.  The Eagles were ranked 4 out of the 4 teams, and were expected to lose in the first round. Their determination shone through, however, and they rose to the occasion. Forward Joey Zenobi explained the team’s mentality going into the championship game, saying, “We came into the game knowing we had to give it our all to get the win, and that’s what we did, and now we get to bring the trophy back to the best high school in America.” Another player nearly broke down after the game, saying, “This wasn’t for us, this was for the 17 victims, we played for them. [It was] so passionate, so emotional, this one is for them.”

MSDHS Varsity Hockey after their State Championship Win

The team also was given the opportunity to visit the BB&T Center, home of the NHL Florida Panthers. After practicing on the ice at the BB&T Center, the players received a special surprise. Representatives from the NHL brought out hockey’s greatest prize, the Stanley Cup, and the players were able to lift, kiss, carry around, pose with, and even drink out of “Lord Stanley.”

The Eagles pose with the Stanley Cup

The team will soon be traveling to Minnesota for the USA Hockey High School National Championships, and are poised for another run to shock the nation.