Fall Senior Nights

Mary Moran '22

As a successful fall sports season comes to a close, our Saint Ignatius athletes and fans come together to celebrate their dedicated and talented classmates that have represented our school’s athletics for years. All of the senior nights that have taken place for our various IHSA and club sports teams have held competitive, impressive, and mostly victorious games. These were followed by an honorable celebration and mention for the leaders of the team that have guided their teammates throughout the season.

The first seniors to be honored this season were varsity field hockey captains, Mia Rugai and Maggie Plomin. The Homewood-Flossmoor tournament champions continued their five-game winning streak when they defeated Evanston with a final score of 5-1 on Wednesday, September 19. The game’s theme was tie-dye, and the stands were filled with an array of fans and posters supporting the theme. The team celebrated their victory, the impact that Rugai and Plomin had on their teammates, and the dedication that the girls showed for the sport and their team throughout their four years of participation afterward with an Italian feast at Tuscany.

A week later, the girls tennis team defeated De La Salle with a score of 7-0. Seniors Donnie Laux, Julia Pangan, Bella Vennetti, Caroline Higginbottom, Jada Harris, and Ana Cubas were celebrated and cheered on by fans and teammates sporting pink. All six seniors earned wins for the team during this match, and their leadership and hard-work shined through as they led their team to victory and cap off their current 5-0 record in the conference.

Saint Ignatius’ undefeated swim team recognized seniors Paula West, Jenna Keating, Isabel Veliz, Montana Cardenas, Hannah Batson, Maria Espin and Joia McKinney with a strong victory against Mother McAuley. The Pack won all twelve of their events, including senior Isabel Veliz’ double event victories. Veliz, McKinney, Batson, and Keating were also a part of the winning relays. Waves of blue could be seen throughout the stands as the seniors were cheered on in their victories and assistance. The team will defend their current overall record of 5-0 as their season continues.

Seniors Bill Brady, Ben Perez, Aidan Boyle, Giorgio Arquilla, Jake Miles, Patrick Milito, Joe Loftus, Aiden Ouimet, Inigo Curran, Diego Graham, Keenan Troy, and Aidan Casey were honored at football their game on Monday, October 8th. A tailgate was held before the game and the fans filled the stands with their red, white, and blue gear. The Pack took the win against DePaul Prep as they celebrated the leaders of the team. The varsity football team currently holds a 5-3 record.

The boys soccer team put up a good fight on October 12th as they recognized their seniors: Matt Griffin, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brock Hurst, Keenan Troy, Keith Bevans, Christopher Braman, Mark Kirby, Jack Galente, Kendall Rice, Dylan McClain, Alec Bentwith, Christian Telles, Billy Kacey, and Ethan Belnap. The varsity team faced Evanston in a competitive game that featured fans decked out in the Halloween theme, and they fought hard through the end. Senior athlete Keenan Troy was asked about his insight on being a senior on two fall sports this season. He responded, “Football and soccer… Yes I play both (slight flex). It is always nice to see hard work throughout the offseason and regular season be appreciated by your classmates as they come out to support you”. The team holds a 7-2 conference record and have the runner up title in the Chicago Catholic League Championship; they are currently on the hunt to state!

The girls volleyball seniors, Rita Grassano and Lindsey Zver, led the team to victory on October 4th as they pursued an exciting comeback against Resurrection after losing the first game. Peers supported the dedicated seniors by flooding the stands with fatheads, posters, and senior-citizen wear! Ignatius Varsity Volleyball holds a 4-3 record in the conference.