Ultimate Frisbee Fever Flies into St. Ignatius

Michael Vogel, Writer

It’s official: The Ultimate Frisbee Club has made its return to Saint Ignatius. Frisbee teams have been a part of Ignatius in years past, but all eventually closed due to low interest and lack of coaches.

Michel Domenella ‘19 was the driving force behind forming the club. Seeing interest in the sport from his friends, he approached the school and began the process of starting the club.

What exactly goes in to founding a club at St. Ignatius? I asked the founder of the club himself for some details.

“I really had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started the ultimate frisbee club,” said Domenella. “I had to fill out a form and find both a moderator and a co-moderator which wasn’t easy, along with getting the signatures of people who wanted to join.”

For Domenella, who gained an affinity for frisbee during his time at summer camp, the process was easy. He had been playing Ultimate casually with his friends, and they quickly grew into a dedicated recruiting force for the team.

“Most of the members are close friends that are looking for something fun to join during the second semester of their senior year,” explained Domenella. “Even outside of that, students were very interested and we have some sophomores and juniors that are outside of that original friend group that are playing.”

30 students, male and female, ultimately signed up, with a parent volunteering to coach. With all of the pieces in place and jerseys ordered, official practices began in late March. The team’s first game is against OPRF on Sunday, April 7 at Schiller Woods.