I Believe That We Will Win

Seton O’Scannlain

Seton O’Scannlain showing off her spirit.

Seton O’Scannlain

I… 

School spirit is about being proud of the institution you are a part of. It’s about unity. It’s about celebrating the achievements of your peers and encouraging them to do even better.

I believe… 

As soon as we joined the Ignatius community we were forced into awkwardly dancing with our senior arrupes who were WAY too excited to teach us cheers and paint wolf paws on our faces at the Freshman Mixer. As a shy freshman, their excitement was intimidating, but before I knew it, it all made perfect sense. Saint Ignatius is more than just a school, it is a home. 

I believe that… 

By the time we were sophomores, we no longer congregated beside the football bleachers. Now, we were cheering alongside the upperclassmen. And within seconds, we were already juniors planning senior nights for our teammates and dancing around in colored powder at the Homecoming Football game.  

I believe that we… 

When senior year rolled around my school spirit had reached its peak. My pride for this school and the people in it has become so strong that I wanted everyone down to the very last freshman to love this special place as much as I have. I was no different than those seemingly over excited seniors at our freshman mixer four years ago. I needed to soak up as much of Ignatius as I could before graduating, so I did it all. I went to every home game and embarrassingly over did every game theme or spirit day. 

I believe that we will… 

It was 53-54. We were down by one. The crowd was so still, it was as though we were scared to even breathe. Ignatius got the ball with little time left to do anything. Daniel was waiting on the 3 point line. Anxiously the crowd counted down 5…4…3… With 2 seconds left, Daniel got the ball and hit a three-pointer, officially making the score 56-54 against Depaul Prep. The exceptionally large student section for a Wednesday night stormed the court in celebration. I had no idea that that would be the last time I cheered whole heartedly in the student section, but it was without a doubt the most electric game I’ve ever seen. On that night, I’ve never been so proud to just be part of the crowd.

I believe that we will win…

The Class of 2020 is a special class for several reasons, but above all else, I believe it is the spirit and love we share with one another that makes us stand out against everything else. My favorite memories of highschool have taken place on Fornelli Field and in the Gentile Gym surrounded by the greatest people I’ve ever known. Consider this my formal thank you note to the entire Ignatius community for giving me something to be so proud in. 

I believe that we have won. 

The crowd rushes the court during the Ignatius vs. DePaul game. (Luke Hales)