Do You Prefer Hybrid or Zoom Learning?

Erika Lenhardt

Do you prefer hybrid or Zoom for school? Which is better for learning? How does each affect students’ social lives, procrastination habits, and mental and physical health? Teenagers nationally and within the Saint Ignatius community have been experiencing lots of changes recently, and opinions about this new way of learning vary.

For hybrid schooling, students attend school for 2-3 days on campus and 2-3 days on Zoom. Even though teens attend school for only 2-3 days, many students have developed a new appreciation for regular, on campus learning because of the pandemic. A poll taken with children ranging from 13-18 collected some unexpected results. Out of 164 students, 99 (60%) preferred hybrid over zoom. This may have been due to a variety of reasons, including transportation, sports, and social life. Before the pandemic, students tended to complain that they did not want to go to school, but now, more than half want to go in person.

Why is this? Going online, students do not have to commute, can roll out of bed into class, eat wherever they want, wear pajama bottoms, and get extra hours of sleep. Also, there is no high school social pressure. Some students think waking up at the last minute for school is enjoyable. However, many students have begun to understand the power of school. Sitting in a small desk in a classroom full of other teens helps students focus and avoid procrastination during class. On the other hand, learning on Zoom presents many challenges: the television could come on, Tik Tok is tempting us, and the distractions are endless. Most sports during Zoom days are cancelled, ruining many students’ favorite activities. Teens become mentally drained when restricted to our houses all day, and texting can only go so far when communicating with friends.

Overall, students have different opinions about whether hybrid or Zoom is “better,” and several different aspects contribute to their final perspective. No one can predict when we will go back in-person full time, and perhaps polls will change when students have to see each other more often.