Coronavirus – One Year Later

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.un.org%2Fafricarenewal%2Fnews%2Fcoronavirus%2Fnew-who-estimates-190-000-people-could-die-covid-19-africa-if-not-controlled

African Medical Workers Combatting an Emerging Outbreak https://www.un.org/africarenewal/news/coronavirus/new-who-estimates-190-000-people-could-die-covid-19-africa-if-not-controlled

Janean Edmond

The world is celebrating the one year anniversary of the novel coronavirus. On March 13, 2020, the world as we knew it changed. Our favorite businesses were closed, no more school, and suddenly everyone was forced to wear a mask wherever they went. Fortunately, in the last year there has been great medical progress in developing vaccines, creating tests, and fighting back against COVID-19. One year and 500,000 deaths later, we see the light at the end of the tunnel. In the aftermath of spring break season, the question is raised how and when we open up safely? Different states have responded differently to this question. In the states of Mississippi and Texas the states governors have decided to open up 100%. On March 10, the governors of both states ended the statewide masks mandates and allowed for businesses to be at full capacity. Regarding his reasoning for the decision, Governor Abott said, ‘We no longer need government running our lives’. President Biden criticized Texas leadership by saying it was “Neanderthal thinking”. Texas and Mississippi are not alone in their thinking. Many states have either ended masks mandates or loosened COVID retractions significantly, including Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Iowa, Montana, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, West Virginia, and Wyoming. Though US cases have been dropping for the past few weeks, many worry that this may be too much too soon. As the weather gets warmer, it’s probable that more states will loosen restrictions. It’s important that Americans stay aware and on guard with this pandemic. Health care officials deterred travel during spring break. Universities weren’t shy about warning college students off spring break travel as well. Many colleges cancelled spring break to attempt to curb student travel. According to research from the College Crisis Initiative at Davidson College, 60% of colleges canceled or altered their traditional spring break plans. These attempts have been lackluster in discouraging students to travel, as many colleges are fully online, consequently that gives students the opportunity to do school from anywhere, even the beach. The effects of spring break travel could cause serious consequences for the rest of the school year and summer, and we’ll see what the consequences are for the flaunting restrictions in the coming weeks. Despite such actions, it’s important to remember that, unfortunately, COVID isn’t over just yet!