Pro: Should Vaccines be Required?

Olivia Mikucki '23

With both students and staff excited about a new school year, the administration is often faced with the burning question, should we mandate vaccines? Since December 14th, when the first vaccine was administered in the U.S., over 50 percent of the U.S. population has been vaccinated. However, as a country, we are still not close enough to reaching herd immunity and with Covid cases rising, the City of Chicago has gone back to mandating masks even with proof of vaccination. Even Saint Ignatius changed their requirement of the use of masks in the fall from what it was in the summer. Though most students have received the vaccine, there is still a minority of students who have not. This leaves the school questioning whether or not vaccines should be mandated? 

At multiple colleges and universities throughout the U.S., vaccines have been mandated by the administration. When determining whether or not vaccines should be mandated, the school has two major points to take into consideration: a student’s own beliefs that prevent oneself from receiving the vaccine and the effect the lack of vaccine from the minority population may have on the majority of vaccinated students. The reasons behind the lack of vaccinations are broad and unknown to administration; however, the safety of the school should outweigh any other factor, even if the vaccine is not well-received. Mandated vaccines in schools are not a new thing and play an important role in keeping students and staff safe. The vaccine will only help our school advance towards normalcy, and even though as a school we might not like being forced to comply, the vaccine is not just about us as individuals but about the health and safety of Ignatius as a community. Ultimately, mandatory vaccination at Saint Ignatius is the best way to guarantee safety for our students and staff and improve our odds of reinstating normalcy.