Why We Take Pride in Being A Part of The Pack

Eleanor Rossini

According to Niche.com, a website that ranks different high schools so students can find the school that is the best fit for them, Ignatius has an A in various categories such as academics, teachers, clubs, diversity, and college prep. However, the only category that does not have an A is sports, holding a B+ ranking. In Saint Ignatius’ long history, the school has not been known as a “sports school.” The school was recognized for its academics and extracurricular activities, but not for its athletics. The Athletic Director at Saint Ignatius, Mike Hurley ‘07, comments, “With the rise in our collective success over the past few seasons, games have been an entertaining and enjoyable social experience that not only help promote cheering and supporting our student-athletes on the fields, courts and pools, but also for these groups to come together, have fun and have a terrific time together in support of our athletic programs and school.”

In recent times, the Wolfpack has been fighting hard to improve its reputation and achieve impressive school records and wins. Saint Ignatius students have more school spirit than ever before. In the average school year, sixty-five percent of the students participate in one of the five club sports or 28 of our interscholastic sports, according to the Saint Ignatius website. The Pack is exceeding expectations, as they have a magnitude of State recognitions accomplished by hard work, long hours, and school spirit. 

The Boys’ Varsity Golf team secured the IHSA 2A State Championship for the second year in a row. The boys were state champions for the first time ever in 2021, and finished in first place again this fall, becoming the first team in Saint Ignatius school history to secure back-to-back state championships. The Wolfpack finished with a score of 603 with strong support from senior Ian Love who finished in 4th place with a score of 145, and senior Liam Nelson who finished in 7th place overall with a score of 147.

The Wolfpack Girls Varsity Swimming and Diving team secured 5th place at the IHSA State Meet in November. Senior Julieta Tracy won both the 200 IM and 100 freestyle, becoming the first-ever female state champion in Saint Ignatius history while simultaneously setting school records and receiving All-American titles. Additionally, Maya Arroyo ‘24 swam the 100 butterfly and Jilly MacNamara ‘24 swam the 100 backstroke; both earned All-State recognition and also established new school records. This season the Girls’ Varsity Swimming and Diving Team set six new school records and had seventeen All-American performances!

This fall, the Saint Ignatius Varsity Football team had an incredible season with a finishing record of 10-3. Several hard fought games and well-earned victories led the team to being an IHSA State Finalist for the first time ever. Also in program history, Vinny Rugai ‘23 and Justin Scott ‘24 were the first players to be named All-State Players. Rugai was also awarded the title of Lawless Player of the Year, Scott received the Lineman of the Year Award, and Jake Petrow ‘23 won Offensive Player of the Year. In addition to these titles, Wolfpack seniors Jack Byrnes, Alex Ditsch, Henry Helms, Emmet Rhoades and Jake Rothgery were awarded All-Conference titles. 

This season, the Wolfpack Girls Varsity Volleyball team won their 5th consecutive regional champion title. This is their 22nd time winning the regional championship, and the team was led to victory by Gabby Williams ‘24 who had nine kills and a block, as well as Katherine Cox ‘23 who supplied 30 assists in their win against Nazareth Academy to secure the regional title.

The Saint Ignatius Girls Cross Country team finished in 5th place at the IHSA State Finals. This is the highest that the team has ever placed in the history of the school. Haley Fitzgerald ‘23, and Ella Hwang ‘24, and Courtney Beatty ’26 were top 50 finishers in the state and led the Wolfpack to their 5th place spot. With additional members of the team placing in the top-130, this meet was a clear success for the Girls Cross Country team.

Not only did the hockey team win the CCHL Kennedy Cup season, they are also undefeated so far this season. The Varsity and Junior Varsity teams are great players on the ice and excellent teammates off the ice in lieu of Wolfpack Strong.

This year, incredible numbers of students have represented the Wolfpack at every athletic event, dressed in theme, and cheering on their friends and classmates. It is so exciting to watch the Wolfpack succeed in sports, and become one of the strongest athletic programs in the area. Athletic Director Mike Hurley ‘07 states, “Since taking my role I have witnessed a strong rise in fan engagement in many of our sports, especially our sports that compete away from campus.” As Saint Ignatius’ athletic programs have improved, The Wolfpack’s student engagement has expanded and an increasing number of students have started to grasp why we take pride in being a part of The Pack.