The Fight for Equal Pay

Last March, Saint Ignatius’ Voices of Women club hosted the Equal Pay Bake Sale, where boys were charged one dollar and girls were charged 50 cents for all baked goods. VOW, a women-led club that aims to educate about issues that concern women and eliminate gender roles, presented the school with a controversial bake sale designed to shed light on the current wage gap still present globally. But why is it such a debated topic?  As a variety of formulas have been used to calculate the wage gap, different numbers have caused confusion and ultimately weakened the argument for equal pay. 

According to VOW Co-president Anna Kelley, “The most commonly considered calculation of the wage gap, divides the median earnings of full-time, year-round working women by the median earnings of full- time, year-round working men.” As a result, it reflects a variety of factors including discrimination, gender differences in jobs, hours worked, and years of experience. Systemically, women have lacked the same educational and career opportunities as men, and the wage gap continues to reflect those statistics. 

By hanging up posters and passing out data-filled pamphlets, VOW took their bake sale as an opportunity to spread information about structural prejudice against women. The club succeeded in matching their goal, donating over $400 to the Deborah’s Place Women’s Shelter. The event also prompted heated discussions about sexism throughout the school in classes like Mrs. Kennedy’s junior year Catholic Ethics. The success of VOW’s bake sale was seen not only by raising money and awareness but also by starting meaningful conversations.