Class of 2024’s Guide to Getting Involved

As seniors approach the college application process, many of them recognize that there are things they wished they’d known before attempting to convince admissions offices why they are the perfect candidates for each university. While interviewing the class of 2024 about their experiences writing admissions essays and marketing themselves as the best addition to their dream schools, a common theme emerged. 

“When it came down to writing my essays, I struggled to come up with narratives,” said Tighe Cooper ‘24. Students can put their names down for as many clubs as they want at the Activities Fair, sign up for every non-cut sport, and spread themselves thin across all the AP classes available. But, when it comes down to writing college essays, only one thing is important:having stories.”

Rather than focusing on filling up an activities list, the seniors advised underclassmen to dedicate themselves to their biggest interests. 

“I think the best thing you can do is find a couple of clubs that intrigue you across different interests and commit to them,” guided Amelia Bezanes ‘24.

Whether it be playing on the lacrosse team, performing in Orchesis, or being an executive board member of Erika’s Lighthouse, devoting time and energy into a few activities is more important than participating in everything. When it comes down to developing college essays, both personal and supplemental, sitting in the back of ten different club meetings each week fails to produce stories. The best plot lines for admissions essays result from students’ significant impacts on their activities. Organizing meaningful club events, becoming a mentor to younger players on sports teams, or participating in diverse service opportunities all formulate anecdotes for future essays while also allowing students to commit to the interests they’re passionate about. 

Pullquote Photo

“…only one thing is important: having stories.”

Though high schoolers certainly should not be hyper focused on preparing for the college application process, the Class of 2024 advises the Saint Ignatius underclassmen to use the future as motivation to make profound impacts on their clubs, sports, and activities.