A Growing Risk of Adolescents’ Mental Health Using Social Media

Since the proliferation of social media around 1997, mental health risks such as depression and anxiety have increased prominently in adolescents. While it was initially created to be a tool to enhance connection and boost self-esteem, social media has also developed into a space for comparison to others and isolation. 

On January 20, 2023, the University of Utah’s health center published that adolescents who use social media are three times more likely to suffer from depression than those who do not. Furthermore, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, suicides among females aged 15-24 have increased 87 percent within the past 20 years. The suicide rate for males in the same age group has also increased by 30 percent in the same period of time. As social media’s presence continues to grow, experts recommend that adolescents spend only three hours a day on social media before it becomes damaging to their mental health.

Saint Ignatius guidance counselor Ms. Annie McNellis spoke on how she has seen social media’s effects on students throughout her many years working at the school. She said, “There has been an uptick in insecurities among the students.” Additionally, she said, “Students have experienced an inability to escape from other people, allowing for comparisons to grow.” 

Mrs. McNellis also expressed her belief that it is unhealthy for adolescents to compare their bodies to those of adult celebrities, saying, “Students are more focused on celebrities’ bodies and that sort of thing than the beauty of their own.” 

However, she did not have only negative things to say about social media use at a young age. Mrs. McNellis pointed out that “social media can be used as an adolescent to connect with friends and family in a fun, healthy way.” Adolescents should take caution when using social media, making sure to use it responsibly.