Recap of the Choir Halloween Concert

According to the Saint Ignatius orchestra and choir, Halloween celebrations can never start too soon. At 7pm on Wednesday, Sept 27, the McLaughlin Theater was flooded with Halloween spirit as the choir and orchestra began their fall performance. From the honors choir, Bella Voce, performed “The Ballad of Sweeney Toddand the orchestra played “The Phantom of the Opera,” it was a delightful occasion. 

It is typical for the choir and orchestra to hold a concert around this time of year, however, it is unusual for the concert to possess a Halloween theme. This eerie undertone is a tradition that only occurs once every four years. However, the last time they performed music inspired by the Halloween season was in 2020, only three years ago. When asked about the decision to hold the concert a year early, choir director Mrs. Schneider said, “The last time we did it, it was completely virtual, and so the current seniors never got the opportunity to do this fun concert that we only do once during a student’s time here.” Her students were thrilled with her decision and greatly enjoyed the rehearsal process. 

Since the concert was held so early in the school year, all the choir and orchestra classes started preparing their pieces early on in the semester. Caroline Hull, a junior in Bella Voce, said, “The concert came so quickly, and nailing some of the tricky harmonies was a bit of a challenge, but I am excited because we performed some of my favorite songs we have ever worked on.

I think that general enjoyment inspired us to work hard.

— Caroline Hull

When choosing these songs, Mrs. Schneider ensured that there was something for everyone in the performance. For example, the choir performed multiple songs without a clear connection to Halloween, such as “Autumn” or “Harvest Moon,” but also made sure to include classics like “Monster Mash.”

Each class period, members of the Freshman Choir, Chorale, Bella Voce, Orchestra, and Chamber Orchestra spent every possible second running through their parts. These groups displayed incredible amounts of dedication, as demonstrated by the resounding choir attendance at a rehearsal on a Friday after school. 

When asked about the progress the choir has made, sophomore Emmett Barron enthusiastically responded, “The choir sounded better and better every day and the concert was spook-tacular. And it was eerie-sistible for many friends and family members of the choir! By the time the concert started there was only standing room left in the theater!”  

This was a great way for the Saint Ignatius community to become engulfed in the Halloween spirit a little early this year in preparation for what is to come in October.