Snow Days

As the Chicago weather gets gloomier and the January days drag on, it can feel like community morale is on a decline. During this miserable period of long school weeks, few hours of daylight, and endless amounts of homework, only one silver lining emerges: the possibility of a snow day.

Students diligently check for weather updates when they hear about the slightest chance of snow. Suddenly the building is abuzz with excited talk of canceled classes. Everyone checks snowdaycalculator.com (which is obviously the most trusted source for a snow day prediction) and anxiously awaits an announcement. But no number of spoons under pillows or inside-out pajamas will bring about this rare occurrence. That decision is left up to the prefects’ office and the school’s leadership board.

According to Dr. Brown, the decision-makers always look at the weather ten days into the future. As a potential snow day nears, they consult with local meteorologists as well as partner schools. There are many factors to consider, and a major one unique to Ignatius is its many commuters. Students travel from every part of the Chicagoland area, with some driving all the way from different counties and even states. This poses a problem: it may not be snowing downtown, but it could be in a far suburb. Dr. Brown must take all of these different locations into account when deciding whether to call a snow day. “Student safety is our top priority,” he says.

Though Dr. Brown makes the final call, Dr. Miller, Mr. Chandler, Mr. Gleason, and Ms. Hartman all discuss the decision. In these situations, communication is key. They try to decide as soon as possible so that teachers, students, and families can be properly notified.

Dr. Brown says that students are welcome to share their input with the Prefects’ Office (just maybe not at 10pm the night before). He encourages students to voice their concerns to their class presidents and student representatives, who often meet with the Prefects to discuss issues from a student perspective.

Ultimately, snow days don’t just provide safety during harsh weather days; they also offer excitement and optimism for students and teachers during a gloomy season. Hopefully, despite the new technologies for weather prediction and virtual learning, Saint Ignatius can continue to recognize the importance of an authentic snow day for student morale.